Response to the Daily Post: The Wanderer
A lot of the things on my bucket list involve traveling to various cities around the world. Alas, for the prompt I may only choose five…
- Vienna, Austria: I’ve heard Vienna is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and Austria in general is at the top of my “Countries I Would Like to Visit” list. My German is… alright so I may be able to get around without too much trouble. But I’m learning a different dialect of German so… I guess I will have a little trouble understanding the Austrians. Well, I wanna visit the country anyway. Anyone from Austria?
- Perth, Australia: At least I chose one country where I speak the language… I’m a product of Southern California so I’m most at home in the sun. I’m gonna cheat a little and say that while I’m here I might as well say I wanna visit Melbourne, Sydney, and Adelaide. I also heard people here are really nice. Is that true?
- Zürich, Switzerland: Another German-speaking country! The featured photo in this post is actually Zürich. I’ve heard and read Swiss German and it’s just… completely different from what I’ve learned so I know I’ll have trouble here. Nonetheless, I heard it’s a beautiful city… with very cold winters. I’m actually hoping to study here for a bit.
- St Petersburg, Russia: I don’t know if I mentioned this before but I actually studied the Russian language for a year while I was in Berkeley and I was about to study in St. Petersburg but then there was that whole thing with my mental health and blah blah blah. So I ended up not going… One of my housemates in Berkeley was a student from Moscow and he told me that the summers in St. Petersburg are beautiful because of the White Nights.
- Kyoto, Japan: I took two years of Japanese in high school and I remember a little more than half of what I learned. I can have a pretty decent conversation but I can’t really read Kanji (the Chinese characters) so that would hinder me a little. I want to visit this city during winter and spring especially. And I would love to visit the various temples and gardens that are there. Oh, and let’s not forget about the authentic Japanese food… I guess I should brush up on my Japanese then.
I think I’m going to publish this quickly before I change my mind because there are just so many cities I want to visit. I’ve even started a Pinterest board for them.
On a similar note, I really like airports. Is that strange?
(Image Source: Flickr)