I was listening to the song No Rain by Blind Melon and I couldn’t help but think about how much the lyrics relate to me. I’m a pretty simple person who appreciates pretty simple things. So I thought I would make a list of all the little things that bring a smile to my face.
- When a stranger gives me a smile or compliment
- When a stranger strikes up a conversation with me
- Wearing clothes straight out of the dryer
- Having my hair fall into place when I wake up
- Lying down on soft grass
- Waking up before my alarm
- Receiving an unexpected, handwritten letter
- The smell of spring and winter
- The smell of the air after a storm
- When a baby smiles, waves, and/or laughs at me
- Finding a lucky penny
- Having exact change
- Lazy days
- When I happen to turn the TV on to my favorite movie
- When I happen to tune in to the radio to one of my favorite songs
- Drinking lemonade on a hot day
- Drinking hot cocoa on a cold day
- Having an old friend send me a message
- Tea time
- Tea time while people watching
- Sleeping in freshly washed sheets
- Being able to sleep in
- Putting on a new pair of socks
- Laughing until I cry
- Being engrossed in a good book
- Seeing random acts of kindness
- Doing random acts of kindness
Those are only some of things that make me happy. Of course, there are a lot.
Depression is something that I constantly have to struggle with but I always try to find small things to brighten up my day, even if it’s just slightly. I know how difficult it is to smile during a bout of depression but I hope you find at least one reason to smile. And when you find it, don’t forget it. Remembering the things that make you smile will help keep you from falling into another episode.
If you’re having a tough day, week, month or etc I hope this list helps lighten your spirits and reminds you to appreciate the little things in life. Even when I’ve had a tough, terrible day a simple cup of tea will turn it around for me.
Like I said, I’m a simple person who likes simple things.
So what are the little things that make you happy?